Without further ado...
What has been your ONE biggest struggle during this school year?
Or maybe more accurately: FOMO (fear of missing out).
I fear I'm missing out on my students' lives while I'm on maternity leave. I know there are milestones in their learning (of math and of life) that I won't get to witness. And then, when I return to school, I fear missing milestones in my son's life. He's only two weeks old. I get that he won't remember any of this. But--as exhausted as I am--it kills me to leave him. I can't win either way. I want both worlds. But I can't have them simultaneously.
Share TWO accomplishments that you are proud of this school year.
- I made it to four hundred posts on the One Good Thing blog. The blog honestly changed my life. Every day, I--along with several other educators around the country--post one good thing that happened at school. Our mantra is, "Every day may not be good, but there's at least one good thing in every day." I recognize that life is hard and that some days are...not good. But searching for the good regardless has been incredibly therapeutic.
- I've had four students this year tell me they want to be a math teacher because of me. (I know it's not only because of me, but I'll take it anyway.) Each of these students is bright, compassionate, and fun-loving. I know they will all make amazing teachers, should they continue on that route. But, even if they don't, I'm so humbled that they think enough of me and of my career choice to want to emulate it. In a
worldstate where teachers are often undervalued and certainly underpaid, I'm proud to say that I'm helping the next generation see our worth. I'm hoping they'll join us in making a positive difference in Oklahoma public education.
What are THREE things you wish to accomplish before the end of the school year?
- I'd like to make it to five hundred posts on the One Good Thing blog.
- I want to have at least as high of a pass rate on the AP Calculus Exam as I did last year.
- When the school year is over, I don't need my kids to remember me. But I would like for them to remember how they felt being in math class: I hope that they leave knowing that their teacher will always love them, respect them, fight for them, and be there for them. I hope they feel that on a daily basis. And I hope I act in such a way as to never cast any doubt.
Give FOUR reasons why you remain in education in today's rough culture.
- I love being around teenagers. I think they're funny, vulnerable, smart, and completely inspiring. I know I learn more from them then they could ever learn from me. They challenge me to be the best version of myself every day. It's an impossible challenge, but one that I'm thankful for regardless.
- I love mathematics. I would be hard-pressed to find a job where I get to do this much math every day.
- I'm stealing this one from Lisa: If not us, then who?
- I believe we're called to repair the brokenness that exists in the world. I'm a Christian. And while I openly apologize for the insensitivity, the irrelevance, and the complete asinine behavior that often accompanies the church, I won't apologize for what I believe. What I believe is that God created this world to be perfect and whole, but when He created human beings He abdicated His right to control (this is where some Christians may disagree with me). That abdication was necessary for humans to be able to love...but that must mean we are also capable of hatred. And, hence, we've created a "brutiful"--a brutal and beautiful--world. But, God entered the world again through Jesus, and Jesus called us to continue bringing heaven to earth--to continue to repair what has been broken. For me, this reconciliation means teaching. It means helping students discover their worth. It means letting them know that they are kind, important, valuable, and smart. It means showing them that they, too, have a role to play in the repairing of the world.
Which FIVE people do you hope will take the challenge of answering these questions?
I'm going to just ask two other women who also teach math in Oklahoma public schools. I challenge @druinok and @mathequalslove. Both of these ladies are incredible math educators and fight for the rights of their students on a daily basis. I admire them deeply and hope to hear their answers.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete
All of the above the thoery of teaching is very technical because now a days i have looking teacher not threading students which is reciprocal from student side.ReplyDelete
It sort of seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition , The material are masterwork.ReplyDelete
how to get spotify premium for free
Alternate values that were set by the affiliation are pretty much as critical as the ones recorded. watch Roland Garros liveReplyDelete
Money related reasonableness to the players and normality of rivalries assists keep the respectability and achievement of the game. Roland Garros DirectReplyDelete
Separation of any sort is not endured in the European group. National groups and clubs are additionally controlled to protect decency and structure. Admiration is an unquestionable requirement for all players, mentors, and fans. No brutality of any sort is endured. french open live streamingReplyDelete
Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks Roland Garros 2016 Live StreamReplyDelete
Read this very important review regarding the Quantum Code SCAM, before you throw your money away!ReplyDelete
We found some FACTS about Quantum Code software that proves that it ...ReplyDelete
This is impressive post.ReplyDelete
Have a look on Viagra Online
"I've had four students this year tell me they want to be a math teacher because of me." Wow! This is the sweetest things ever for a teacher :'( Thank you for sharing the post!ReplyDelete
How to Get Spotify Premium click Now Get Free how to get spotify premium for freeReplyDelete
Starting today, just a couple of banks are putting forth online check getting the money for administrations to general clients. Check Cashing chicagoReplyDelete
Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic.Door KnobsReplyDelete
I thank you for the information and articles you providedReplyDelete
We are updating the database of Celeb Networth in order to be the largest website in this field, if you can't find any celebrity you like who has not included in our site, please contact us, thank you!ReplyDelete
I'm a singer songwriter. I have a video of a song performance which I would like to add CapCut stickers to in the CapCut program. I then want to post the video of platforms like TikTok and Youtube. But would this count as "commercial use" and hence go against the CapCut license?ReplyDelete
AVAST Software a introduit une nouvelle version du complexe antivirus appelé Avast !. Le programme est équipé de modules de vérification des e-mails, du trafic Internet, des clients IM et P2P. Contient un référentiel de fichiers suspects et infectés par des virus, ainsi qu'un moteur d'analyse de pré-démarrage pour Windows. Toutes les versions de Windows sont prises en charge, y compris l'architecture x64. Il existe également une version russe. De plus, selon des tests indépendants, cet antivirus peut être recommandé comme principal outil de protection de votre PC.ReplyDelete